Source: Emilie Bruzelius
Open data and open science.
- Find the data
- Meet with professors
USAID sponsor (US Gov't)
Began in 1984
Every 5 years
Submit an application to get access - must be somewhat specific. Get started here.
Nationally representative (representative cluster sampling)
Has geotagged cluster of data
- Global Burden of Disease (GBD)
Estimates for over 188 countries
Good cause of death and disability-adjusted life year indicators
Began in 1990
Sponsors: Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) - UW (Gates Foundation)
World Health Organization
107 countries, 290 surveys
Began in 1995
Covers 50% of SDG goals
- Sampling is poor for the most vulnerable populations
Off the beaten path
- World Policy Analysis Center - policies that may have health impact
Finding other peoples' repos
- Biospecimen repos
- How do I start learning how to wrangle a dataset?
Google Scholar the dataset and get in touch with people who have done the work before. Literature search and networking!
- FOIA (e.g. Chris Wong), Hand code, Scrape the data